Top 10 Reasons to Host Visitors During Salmon Jam
Looking for a fun & easy time of year to host your visiting friends and family? Salmon Jam weekend, July 12-13, will keep your guests of all ages entertained and fed. The following are the top 10 reasons you should encourage your visitors to be here this July for Copper River Salmon Jam:
10. Salmon Jam is fun for the entire family: from FREE Small Fry educational activities on Saturday afternoon, to face painting, dancing, and other fun events during the live music Friday and Saturday night, your young visitors will come back to your house ready for a night of good sleep.
9. If dancing and games aren’t enough to wear out your visitors, the Alaska Salmon Runs on Saturday morning are sure to help. From a full marathon down to a family 1-mile fun run, there’s a distance for all energy levels.
8. Rain or shine, the show will go on. Should it be a rainy weekend, don’t let those guests wear a hole in your couch—send them to Salmon Jam where the rain never shuts us down.
7. How do you entertain a group made up of outdoorsmen, food/wine/beer connoisseurs, music-lovers, artists, shoppers, kids, and adults? Take them to Salmon Jam where there’s something for everyone! Delicious homemade food, an artisan market, beer garden, live music, road races, at the base of a ski hill worth hiking…the activities are endless!
6. Are your visitors the kind who must be doing something to help at all times? Why not focus some of your visitors’ energies towards Salmon Jam. Volunteer power is what makes the event happen: from selling tickets, food, and t-shirts, to set-up and take-down; we need all hands on deck. All volunteers get discounts at the gate, and the more shifts they work, the greater the discount! Send your volunteers to sign-up online at salmonjam.org/volunteer
5. Two days of dinners that you won’t have to make! Your guests can enjoy delicious locally-made soups, pizza and chowdahs at the Snack Shack both nights, and fresh salmon from the grill during the Salmon BBQ on Saturday night. And don’t miss the Taste of Cordova wild food cook-off on Saturday night. Try your hand and enter a dish or come to sample some of Cordova’s most talented gourmets.
4. In the mood to share a few cold brews with your visiting buddies? The best deal in town is at Salmon Jam where cold, refreshing beverages from Alaskan Brewing Company and K&L Distributors will be served.
3. Alaska Airlines is sponsoring the weekend, including a special discount on flights booked on Alaska Airlines for travel between July 9 and 15, 2019 (use travel code ECMC329 while booking online at alaskaair.com).
2. What better way to show authentic Alaska than to share the special character of Cordova with your visitors during Salmon Jam? From tasting local flavors, enjoying local artists, and meeting local characters, your visitors will leave knowing what sustains us here in Cordova: Salmon and Art!
1. While your visitors will be entertained for the weekend, Cordovans will be entertained year-round! All proceeds from Salmon Jam support Cordova Arts, an all-volunteer organization who coordinates year-round arts and cultural events for Cordova, including special presentations for Cordova K-12 students with all visiting artists.
Track us online at salmonjam.org, or on Facebook or Instagram. Join our email list to stay in the loop about special workshops, event updates, volunteer opportunities, and more!